Maltesers Buttercream Cake
- Grease two 18cm cake tins
- Preheat the oven to 180°c/ 350°f/gas 4
- In a large bowl mix the butter and sugar together
- Add the 3 eggs and whisk until smooth
- Sift and gently fold in the flour a bit at a time, and add the baking powder
- Pour the mixture into two separate cake tins and spread evenly
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven for 25 mins until light golden in colour
- Prick one of the cakes with a sharp knife after 25 minutes to see if it’s cooked – if the knife comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Take the cakes out of the tins and place on a wire rack to cool completely
- To make the buttercream, mix the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl until smooth
- Put a quarter of the buttercream mixture on one of the cakes and place the other cake on top.
- Cover the whole cake in buttercream icing and even out with a spatula.
- Place the Maltesers at even intervals on the cake. Serve slightly chilled.
- 175g soft butter
- 175g Fairtrade caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 135g pouch of Fairtrade Maltesers
- For decoration (including buttercream icing):
- 200g soft butter
- 400g of icing sugar